My wife has a green card and I am a US citizen. We live in Chesapeake, VA. Can I claim my stepdaughter as a dependent?

Asked 8 months ago - Chesapeake, VA

My stepdaughter has lived with us in the US for 4 years now. She has not yet filed her paperwork for a greencard and I guess would be considered "undocumented". We intend to do this shortly but I want to know if I can claim her as a dependent on my income taxes. My wife and I file jointly and I am the sole source of income.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Answered . Whether you can is not an immigration law question.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

4

Answered . Not immigration will question. This is best asked of a certified public accountant or tax attorney.

3. Hugo Raul Valverde

Pro

Answered . Ultimately, this is a tax issue and it would be best to consult with a tax attorney or CPA.