My wife filed for temporary custody in Georgia on Jan 28, 2013.

Asked over 1 year ago - Aurora, CO

It's now February 17, and she has yet made an attempt to pick him up! I'm active duty military and received the papers the same day the emergency hearing took place! He was being watched by his grandparents for four months without me knowing until I found out by her brother. I consulted with an attorney about the situation but this just adds on to be unsuitable to care for our child. She lives with her sister in Georgia and haven't established jurisdiction in that county! What other steps can I take to fight for custody and prove that I ( father) is fully capable of being the primary custodian?

1. Stephen Clark Harkess

4

Answered . You don't indicate where the child lives. If the proper jurisdiction is in Georgia, then you should consult with a Georgia attorney. If the child has not lived in Georgia, you may want to file a cusotdy case in the state where the child has been living. All the steps you can take involve participating in the court case and the best thing you can do is to retain counsel in the appropriate jurisdiction to address the custody of your son.

2. Kelly Ann Breuer

1

Answered . Absolutely hire an attorney today! Interstate parenting issues are complex, and if the Georgia court rules, it will become even more difficult.

3. Daniel Nelson Deasy

Answered . Mr. Harkess is dead on with his analysis.

Best of luck to you and thank you for your service!

Dan