My wife entered the borders with her B2 visa although she has F1 visa. She didn't have her I-20 in hand at that time.

Miami, FL |

she did that because the school notified her very late about her acceptance into the program (Dental Residency) and that she must show up for the mandatory orientation. What is the best option to correct her situation after getting the I-20 in hand ?

Hiring an experienced immigration attorney in Florida.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

My wife entered the borders with her B2 visa although she has F1 visa - does not make sense. Did she have two visas in her passport?

Yes, she has them both. If you are entering as a student then you should have I20 with you. That's why she entered as a tourist,

Sergey Vladimirovich Makarov

Sergey Vladimirovich Makarov

OK, did she disclose the REAL purpose of her entry to the officer at the border (which is to study)?

She didn't discuss it with him, she won't be taking classes nor clinics till August 1st. The orientation she is here for is all about to show her around and introduce her to staff and the system. But the contract states that the program starts by July 1st.

I encourage you to speak with the DSO at the school where your wife was accepted. The easiest way to correct her status is to obtain the I-20, leave the US and re-enter with the I-20 and the F-1 visa. A change of status would be problematic and take too much time.

The information you obtain in this response is for general knowledge. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. I invite you to contact me and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting me, nor my responding to the question, creates an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to me until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.