My wife does not want to sign devorce papers till we have been married for 20years so she can recieve full medical military

Asked over 3 years ago - Killeen, TX

I was married for 17 years and my wife decided that she did not love me anymore, we was always arguing about different things but I still loved her. She started not answering her phone and comming home late, she said she was going to a friends house a girl from work but she was going to her boyfiends house on the weekends and leaving me home with the kids. Now it has been two years since she has been gone and she will not devorce me because she wants to have full medical at 20 years and she also wants half of my retirement check when my youngest reaches 21 in 5 years. what do I do we have both moved on now she has a baby with another man but wants to remain married so she can get full medical, is this leagl, I want to continue my life and I do not feel she is entilied to half of my check.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Christopher Jay Harding

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You can force the divorce.... but need to file now. Get an aggressive attorney who will set dates quickly. Remember that the Court has to have open dates, and this will cost money to force through, but if you feel it is worth forcing, do it.

    I would suggest consulting an attorney before filing and making sure all your ducks are in a row. Have all of your inventory done, know where she will be to serve her, be ready to deal with her being nasty and hiring a lawyer herself to try and slow down the process.

    Disclaimer: This answer is intended for informational and educational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice nor forming the attorney client relationship.

  2. Thomas James Daley


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . I agree with Mr. Harding. Assuming you have already filed for divorce, set it for trial. You have to give her at least 45 days advance notice of the trial date. Other than that, once you go to trial, the divorce will be granted.

    Good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,920 answers this week

2,977 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,920 answers this week

2,977 attorneys answering