Skip to main content

My wife died and her name is on my home title. I have since remarried. How do I change names?

Westminster, CA |

Wife wife who is on the title to my home passed away. I have since remarried and need to remove my deceased wife's name and add my new spouse to the title

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


There are standard forms that can be obtained on the internet and from most title company websites. Affidavit of Death of Spouse, Affidavit of Death of Joint Tenant are the two that would best work to remove your deceased wife. If you want to add your new wife there is a form called Interspousal Transfer Deed that would work best. Adding your new wife to title means that you are giving her an interest in your separate property. This is a loving thing to do, but not necessarily the best financial decision, depending upon your age, her age, children from the prior marriage and other factors. You might want to consult an attorney or financial advisor about this issue. If you have adult children from your deceased wife, speak to them.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer