My wife appointed a fellow church member power of attorney ( Jehovah witness)

Asked almost 3 years ago - Dallas, TX

My wife who is a Jehovah witness appointed a "Elder"from her church to be her medical power of attorney. I am not a JW this is the reason they brought this up. My question is if something was to happen to my wife would i have my hands tied? if so what would i be able to do ? Thank you in advance.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Lu Ann Trevino


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Unfortunately for you, the power of attorney for medical decisions would control. You would not be able to challenge the decisions made by your wife's appointee.

    This comment is given for educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship exists between us.
  2. James Brian Thomas

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The agent under the Power of Attorney would be authorized to make decisions concerning your wife's care and treatment. Their authority as agent would trump yours as husband. Unfortunately, as you put it, your hands would be tied.

    Bear in mind that the Power of Attorney likely springs to life upon your wife's inability to make these kinds of decisions for herself. Appointing an agent is a deeply personal act, and religious concerns can certainly play a role in the decision. I feel pretty certain that you have had a very open, honest and frank conversation with your wife regarding this. If not, it's a conversation worth having while your wife has the ability to express her desires and concerns.

    This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted to practice law in the State of Texas only, and make... more

Related Topics

Estate planning and power of attorney

A power of attorney is a legal document giving another person the right to act on your behalf in various situations, within the limits set out by the document.

Estate planning and medical power of attorney

A medical power of attorney gives your agent the right to make decisions about your medical care if you become unable to do so, within any limits you set.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,322 answers this week

3,377 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,322 answers this week

3,377 attorneys answering