My wife and I have been married for 6months. She is currently a Student and unemployed. Can She & a friend sponsor my i864?

Asked 4 months ago - Baltimore, MD

She also doesn't have any tax history as she is 20 and will be 21 this july. Any advice is welcome.
Thanks

1. Stuart Jonas Reich

Pro

3

Answered . The friend would need to meet the 125%-of-poverty-level guideline for a household of the friend's size (not yours or your wife's), and be a citizen or permanent resident living in the US to be a joint sponsor. See the guide on joint sponsorship linked to below.

Speak with an attorney for further guidance.

2. Jennifer Heewon Ahn

2

Answered . Assuming she qualifies to petition you and you otherwise qualify for immigration benefits, yes, your wife can file an I-864 and a friend can file an I-864 Affidavit of Support as a joint sponsor.

3. Lawrence M. Kasen

Pro

1

Answered . If your wife is an U.S. citizen, she may petition and sponsor you for lawful permanent residence depending on whether you entered the U.S with a visa or not. If not, a waiver would be necessary to overcome your inadmissibility. The friend would have to be a co-sponsor and meet the federal poverty guidelines threshold to sponsor you. You should consult an experienced immigration attorneys to guide you through the process.