My wife and I got married 8 months ago, she is now pregnant and has gone back to Canada. What my rights to my unborn child.

Asked about 1 year ago - Las Vegas, NV

My wife is Canadian, we were applying for a green card for her, we were running out of time so we went ahead and got married so her stay in the states was legal. She got her green card this month and is 4 months pregnant and took off for Canada and walked away from our marriage. What are my rights to my unborn child since it will probably be born in Canada.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Ilan Acherman

    Contributor Level 3


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If the child is born in Canada, then a court in that country will likely have jurisdiction pursuant to the rules and laws of Canada, its provinces, and localities. It is more than likely that you will be able to establish your paternity and establish custody orders, but you should seek the assistance of an attorney who is licensed to practice in that jurisdiction in order to enforce your rights as a father. You should look for attorneys that are based in the vicinity where your wife is staying and they will be better able to assist you with your case.

  2. Jill K. Whitbeck

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In addition to my colleagues valuable advice, you also need to speak with your immigration attorney or INS about the green card and your sponsorship. They need to know you have been abandoned and are withdrawing your sponsorship.

    Responses are for general information purposes only, and are based on the extremely limited facts given. A... more
  3. Israel Lynda Kunin

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As a side note to the answers given, Nevada has jurisdiction over the marriage for purposes of a divorce, and you can also request custody be addressed since the child was conceived here, but that issue is stayed until after birth. The likely outcome after much expense in attorney fees is unfortunately that Canada will assume jurisdiction of the child born there. So be prepared with a knowledgeable attorney there.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,264 answers this week

2,914 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,264 answers this week

2,914 attorneys answering