My wife and I are seperated(not legally)(the mortgage and lot lease are in both our names) can I live in the home also?

Asked over 1 year ago - Buffalo, NY

We have 3 children the youngest with Autism.

1. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

3

1

Answered . If yiu are married and deed is in both names, then you can live in the same house unless there is an order granting your wife exclusive possession. Consult with a local divorce lawyer to help you.

2. Michael C. Wild

3

Answered . It appears you have questions about a separation in addition to questions about real property. It's difficult to give a definitive answer in to your question because it will probably require some document review.

I have a real estate practice in the area, and I'm happy to sit down and discuss your questions in a confidential setting.

This communication is intended only to provide general information. No attorney-client relationship is created.
  3. Steven Warren Smollens

2

Answered . Dear Home Owner:

You are right. You are not "legally" separated (you may not even taken the first proper steps to a legal separation) you are not under a court order to cede possession of the house to your spouse, there is no order of protection barring you from the house or mandating you keep a distance from your spouse, you own the house and are responsible for the mortgage, is there a reason you believed that you should not be in the house.

A married couple contemplating dissolution of a marriage are well-served by early consultations with marriage counselors and attorneys. Your home ownership, child-rearing and finances are entwined. As long as you are living together, you are not "separated."

4. Edwin Drantivy

Answered . It depends. You would be well-served to discuss your dilemma with a New York domestic relations attorney in a confidential forum as soon as possible.