Skip to main content

My wife and I are both US Citizens and want to petition her son and family in the Philippines to come stay with us here.

Port Saint Lucie, FL |

What steps do we need to take to start this process ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You need to provide more information about your spouse's son and what do you mean by family. Consult with immigration attorney with details.

The above is intended as general information only and cannot be relied upon as legal advice. Call (212)880-1538 for detailed evaluation of your case. Laws change constantly and vary from state to state. The legal principals discussed may differ substantially from your personal situation. Therefore, You should consult an attorney about your particular situation. Visit us at WWW.USIMMIGRATIONPLUS.COM Contact Immigration Law Offices of Tsirina Goroshit at 275 Madison Avenue, 4th Floor New York, NY 10016


I agree with my colleague.

Free Consultation Anywhere in USA | 626-399-4194 | |


You may petition for your son, but the process and how long it will take will depend on whether he is married, his age and various other factors. You would be wise to consult with an immigration attorney.


Hello Sir. I will try to help you. First, please note that not all types of family members can be petitioned for. The US immigration law has certain family-based categories and you may only petition for those family members that fall within those categories. Your wife may petition for her son. If he is under the age of 21, then he will be regarded as an immediate relative and not subject to a priority date. If 21 or above, then he will have to wait for his priority date to become current before he can immigrate to the U.S. Second, as for the process, it is a multi-step process. It starts with a family petition being filed by your wife along with much supporting documentation. Once the petition is approved, then the USCIS forwards the petition to the National Visa Center, which conducts its document and fee collection. You must submit the requested evidence and documents. Once this is done, then the case is forwarded to the Embassy for a visa interview. I handle all of the steps for my clients and prepare them for the interview. I hope this information helps.


Your wife may file a petition for her son and if he is married his spouse and derivative family members under the age of 21 may also be eligible. Schedule a consultation with an immigration attorney to review eligibility.


Robert Brown LLC
Baldwin Park Center
4767 New Broad Street
Orlando, Florida 32814

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer