My wife an I are expecting are second child in October.

East Berlin, CT |
Filed under: Employee rights

After our first child, her employer changed her job position several time. When we found out she was pregnant, the added on more responsibility and unreasonable efficiency goals. The pulled her in an told her next month they will cut her hours from 40 to 20 ( she will lose her health care) and that they might eliminate her position in September. When she said that will hurt us in October, the told her she should have thought about that before she got pregnant again. They have let other women go due to being pregnant, but have claimed it to be other reasons. On top of the pregnancy, my wife has had several seizures at work, which is also not helping her situation. I was wondering, what could we possibly do in this situation?

There are various laws that prohibit pregnancy related discrimination. Acts like cutting hours, increasing requirements, and threatening termination are clear violations. While you can file a claim with the CT Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities, you should probably speak with a labor and employment attorney before doing so in order to fully understand your rights and the best course of action.

Licensed in CT and FL

I'm sorry to hear about your wife. It does sound her employer is surreptitiously attempting to terminate her on the basis of her pregnancy but making it not appear as such. They might be experts at claiming that it is for work-related reasons though the comment that they made certainly won't help their cause. Document everything and seek the consultation of an experienced employment attorney.

This is only an Avvo answer. I am not getting paid to give this response and am basing this response only on the information provided to me in the above question.