My wife abandoned me and is missing. How do i divorce her?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

My wife and I were living in Panama However she abandoned me and moved back to the states unknown where she is living in the states. I still live in Panama.There are no children or property involved. We were married in Las Vegas. we lived in Los Angeles before we moved to panama.

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

4

8

Answered . I am sorry that you are going through this. Hopefully panama has a llike kind law as we do in some states where you can file for a divorce by publication if you do not know where your spouse is. Chat with a local Panama attny and discuss your options. take care.

2. Jill K. Whitbeck

3

Answered . To get a divorce in any state in the US, one of the spouses must have residency -- with the length of residency varying by state (some require a full year, plus "grounds" for the divorce itself). As you do not live in the US, you cannot get a divorce here unless you know where your wife is and can prove her residency. That leaves you to follow the laws to get a divorce in Panama. Or spend the money to find your wife and see if she will agree to a divorce in the US.

3. John M Eccles

2

Answered . This is a question for a Panamanian attorney to answer. The last place you lived together as husband and wife is Panama. Also, you don't actually know where she lives, so you cannot file for Divorce where she lives (which is usually permissible). If you knew where she lived, then you could file in the state in which she resides. Otherwise, you are stuck trying to get a divorce in Panama. As an aside, and I am not saying you have a basis to get one, Nevada does have jurisdiction to resolve an annulment action, since you were married here. My guess is you couldn't make a viable claim for an annulment, but that is really the only option available to a person who was married in Nevada and where neither the husband or wife resides in Nevada.