Skip to main content

My wife abandoned me and is missing. How do i divorce her?

Las Vegas, NV |

My wife and I were living in Panama However she abandoned me and moved back to the states unknown where she is living in the states. I still live in Panama.There are no children or property involved. We were married in Las Vegas. we lived in Los Angeles before we moved to panama.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


This is a question for a Panamanian attorney to answer. The last place you lived together as husband and wife is Panama. Also, you don't actually know where she lives, so you cannot file for Divorce where she lives (which is usually permissible). If you knew where she lived, then you could file in the state in which she resides. Otherwise, you are stuck trying to get a divorce in Panama. As an aside, and I am not saying you have a basis to get one, Nevada does have jurisdiction to resolve an annulment action, since you were married here. My guess is you couldn't make a viable claim for an annulment, but that is really the only option available to a person who was married in Nevada and where neither the husband or wife resides in Nevada.



Thank you


I am sorry that you are going through this. Hopefully panama has a llike kind law as we do in some states where you can file for a divorce by publication if you do not know where your spouse is. Chat with a local Panama attny and discuss your options. take care.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.


To get a divorce in any state in the US, one of the spouses must have residency -- with the length of residency varying by state (some require a full year, plus "grounds" for the divorce itself). As you do not live in the US, you cannot get a divorce here unless you know where your wife is and can prove her residency. That leaves you to follow the laws to get a divorce in Panama. Or spend the money to find your wife and see if she will agree to a divorce in the US.

Responses are for general information purposes only, and are based on the extremely limited facts given. A consultation with an attorney experienced in the area of law(s) indicated in the question is highly recommended. Information and advice given here should not be relied upon for any final action or decision, as the information is limited by its nature to the question asked and the fact(s) presented in that question. THIS RESPONSE DOES NOT CREATE AN ATTORNEY/CLIENT RELATIONSHIP, particularly considering that the names of the parties are unknown.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer