My waterheater is leaking and we informed he land lord, she did not fix the problem and it damaged alot of our property.

Asked over 1 year ago - Fort Myers, FL

We agreed on paying rent after the heater was fixed now we are getting evicted is there anything we can do?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Edward J. Fucillo

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Under Florida Statue 83.60, if you want to withhold rent due to a material non-compliance by the landlord, you must first properly give a 7 day notice to the landlord specifying the non-compliance. If you failed to give proper notice to the landlord, you may have waived that defense to a suit for eviction.

    I recommend that you consult with a local attorney a.s.a.p. to review the specific facts of your situation.

    The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you... more
  2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You gave damages.

    You have grounds to sue the LL.

    Those facts may give you a defense to the eviction (about which you posted no facts.)

    See a LL-T attorney.

    NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice before the state and... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,248 answers this week

3,026 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,248 answers this week

3,026 attorneys answering