My wages are being garnished, I live in MO and work in KS, where do I go to file the head of household exemption, MO or KS?

Asked 7 months ago - Grandview, MO

Live in Missouri, work in Kansas. The garnishment is out of the Cass County Court in Missouri. Need to know which state I go to to file the head of household exemption.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Matthew Scott Berkus

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You need to claim the exemption, assuming it is available, at the court that issued the garnishment.

  2. Ronald Jay Eisenberg

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . As my colleague indicated, Missouri. It might be worth having an attorney review the case file to see if there is any basis for challenging the judgment or, if it was a default, to have it set aside.

    My comments are general in nature, are not legal advice as to your specific issue, and do not establish an... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,321 answers this week

2,763 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,321 answers this week

2,763 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary