My wages are being garnished, because I defaulted on a loan however I have been paying on this loan since May of 2012.

Torrance, CA |
Filed under: Wage garnishment

When I called the finance company in May I provided my employment information and worked out a payment amount. I began to make payments of $200.00 immediately and I have not missed one since. I receive a letter from my place of employment today, 7 months later, informing me that 25% of my wages are to be garnished until the amount of $10780.97 has been paid. Much more than the $6009.00 of the judgement I also had no clue about. It seems that my payments have not been applied. I am a single parent in a one bedroom apt. I will not be able to afford my rent unless I am able to stop this. I have proof of my payments with the bank. Is it possible for the garnishment to be reversed since I have been making payments? Is it possible to freeze this garnishment if I have to go to court?

1. A debtor court will freeze the payments and put you on a payment plan. A chapter 7 might end the nightmare for you. Go and talk to a bankruptcy attorney.

There are many factors that can affect how best to handle this matter and the best advise is usually to hire an attorney immediately. Unfortunately the advice above is a guess that is based on very scanty facts. Circumstances of all sorts can change the ultimate answer you need. If you want to know how best to handle the situation, make an appointment with an attorney and get good solid advise based on more exact facts. The money spent might give you the peace of mind you need. The information provided is not intended as legal advice that can be relied on in part because we do not have the entire the situation. No Attorney/Client relationship is intended, implied or created. We are a debt relief agency and we help people file for relief under the bankruptcy laws.

2. For them to be garnishing they would have had to have got a judgment. If you had an agreement in place then they should have not had sued you. Something is not adding up. You very well may have a good case. Call us for free evaluation and consult. We have an LA office

Kazerouni Law Group, APC is a law firm concentrating its efforts in the area of consumer law, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 U.S.C. §§ 1692 et seq. (“FDCPA”), and California's Rosenthal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, California Civil Code §§ 1788-1788.32 ("Rosenthal Act"). Our lawyers are specially trained in the Federal FDCPA, Consumer Defense, and other consumer related matters. Our goal is to protect you against unfair, deceptive and abusive debt collection practices. Creditors, professional debt collectors, and attorneys who violate the law are subject to paying damages, statutory penalties, and the consumer's attorneys fees and costs. If you feel you have been abused, deceived or treated unfairly, you may need a lawyer. We can be reached at 800-400-6808, or through one of the evaluation forms on this or at our own website at www.kazlg.com. The information provided on this website is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice or as forming an attorney-client relationship. No attorney-client relationship between the reader and Abbas Kazerounian has been formed. If you are in the State of California and would be interested in a formal free consultation either visit Kazerouni Law Group, APC website at www.kazlg.com or call me toll free at 800-400-6808.

3. You need to file a claim of exemption and a financial declaration with the levying officer to reduce the garnishment amount. Those forms should have been given to your employer, to give to you, at the time of the garnishment. If not the forms are available from the CA Courts website, below.

If you believe the creditor has violated the terms of any payment arrangement or not appropriately credited your payments, you should seek the services of a local consumer rights attorney.

For help regarding the pending garnishment see this the CA Courts website: http://www.courts.ca.gov/11418.htm

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

4. Filing the claim of exemption is a good idea, but it won't necessarily provide immediate relief. If the creditor opposes the claim of exemption, the 25% will be deducted from your paycheck until the judge rules on what amount should be taken from your check. You might eventually get back some or even all of the money that had been taken out, but that could take several weeks or more.

Also, any claim that you may have for breach of a settlement or claims for unfair debt collection practices could take months or years.

Ultimately, bankruptcy may be your best and quickest option. You should contact a local bankruptcy attorney right away.

First, the firm is a debt relief agency according to the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. We help people file for bankruptcy. We also do other stuff and we do it well, but Congress wants me to post this notice. Second, nothing on this site is legal advice. You are not my client unless you enter into a written agreement signed by you and me.

5. You need to consult an attorney who sues debt collectors who engage in abusive debt collection practices. If you can show that you have been making payments pursuant to an agreement, the debt collector may be in violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and may owe you a statutory penalty, any actual damages, damages for mental distress, and attorney's fees.

Richard Scott Lysle
    310-822-6023