My WA State hired Attorney has me worried to death, how can I get out of his binding contract and not lose the money?

Tacoma, WA |

I was arrested for DUI and had a passenger with me. The officer claims he removed me from the car when actually I was already standing at the rear of my car. He lied and my passenger will testify to this. This is only one of many lies in his report. For probable cause to arrest the DUI specialist who arrived minutes later only had credible information from an officer who has lied. I was then only given the HGN test then taken in. The rest of the SFST report forms are blank. At the station the officer signed my BAC implied consent and all others as "handcuffed". I am 56 and disabled and hard of hearing. I have done all the research for my attorney and have not been told how he wants to proceed and I suspect I am getting sold out. Can I represent myself and put him in the role as co-counsel

I agree with the above. I'd also point out that your attorney can only charge you a fair amount for services performed. Whether the retainer is fair depends on the complexities of the case, your attorney's skill level, and hours spent working on the case.

I have never seen a pro se attorney (someone who represents himself) do a good job in trial. DUI practice is a very technical area of the law requiring very specific skills. Sometimes non DUI lawyers show up on these cases and do a miserable job. Don't take any chances, hire a skilled DUI lawyer.

Speak with your lawyer and find out what he's done on your case and what he might be willing to refund. If he acts unfairly, you can ask the Washington State Bar Association to take a look at your agreement for fairness.

Thank you for your thoughts on my situation. I have read through RPC Rule 1.5 and have thought about the bar. I have scheduled a meeting for Tues. as we have to appear on Wed. and I will address my concerns. It is very difficult to get him to listen but I am seriously going to address all these concerns. I don't like the responses I have gotten from him so far such as having farmed out my case to another attorney and keeps telling me about being surprised he hasn't heard anything yet from this other attorney who I have no idea who this person is and did not approve this. I hired him. It is so hard to decide who to hire. I guess in hind sight I should have went with Ted Vosk as we had a great 2 hour conversation about the Datamaster CDM and the problems I have discovered via WSP discovery among other topics, but I just can't spend $20,000 not including trial. I really am feeling I am about to be sold out as my attorney informed me he is on the Judges campaign committee when I asked if we could get my case sent to Landenburg. I thank you so much and I really appreciate you taking the time. Thanks again, GB

The first thing you need to do is sit down with your paid attorney and voice your concerns and ask all the questions that you have. Ask him his plan for trial or plea bargaining or how he will challenge the evidence pretrial. Clear up any concerns. If you are still not pleased, seek the advice of another attorney and retain other counsel to defend you.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

If you have concerns about your how your attorney is handling you case, you need to discuss them with your attorney as soon as possible. You chances of winning the case without an attorney handling the defense are very small.