My visa will expire next month, the extension will be approved after it expires. is there any chance that i can stay US legal?

Asked over 2 years ago - Seattle, WA

The big problem: my wife is in a pregnancy at 34-week when our visa expire.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

14

Answered . It doesn't matter when you "visa" expires, only when your "I-94" expires. If you need more time, you can apply for an extension (which it seems that you have done).

Please see

2. Andre R. Olivie

1

Answered . I agree with the other attorneys. The I-94 is more important than the visa in this case and you can lawfully stay while you await the decision.

Andre Olivie
    Seattle Immigration Lawyer
    www.olivielaw.com
    (206) 724-1940

3. J Charles Ferrari

2

Answered . If you timely filed for an extension of stay, you can remain in the US until USCIS makes its decision.

4. Zainab Mustafa Boxwala

1

Answered . As long as your H1B visa extension is filed before your I-94 expires you can work and stay in the US legally.

You may want to consider premium processing for your H-1B extension. Premium processing gets your application expedited but it is costly.

Talk to an immigration attorney about your options.

Good Luck and Congratulations on your soon-to-arrive baby!