My visa is in collections, but I don't see the collection dept. anywhere on my repor

Asked about 1 year ago - Columbia, SC

I have visas that were on my credit report last year, but now are gone. I am claiming chapter 7, I don't want this to come back and haunt me

I also have visas that say refred to collections, I don't see any coolection company that matches.
Advice? They(collection) are going to tell me nothing to put on my bancrupcy file) Should I just get the name and look it up in the internet? or have a separate page and for the attournet to call?

1. John R. Cantrell Jr.

1

Answered . Two possibilities exist. One is that the original creditor still owns the debt, and has merely hired a collection agency to try to collect it for them. If so, you can get by with just listing the original creditor on your bankruptcy, but if you know the name of a collection agency, then list them in addition to make sure they get notice of the bankruptcy filing. The other possibility is that the original creditor has sold the account to a debt buyer. If so, then there is a chance that the debt buyer will put a new entry on the credit report with their name, but they may also continue to leave the debt on the credit report under the former creditor name. In any event, list any creditor names that you believe are associated with the debt. If you accidentally or unknowingly fail to list the name of the proper creditor in the bankruptcy, then under SC bankruptcy law, when filing a Chapter 7, the debt will still be discharged, so don't worry if you don't have the most accurate information. Just list what you know.

2. Gordon Charles Webb

Pro

1

Answered . Best to list as many original creditors as you possibly can as well as collection agencies.

This answer is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  3. Shawn B Alexander

Pro

Answered . I agree with the previous answer and some agencies are slow to run their data to the bureaus and some do bother. Make sure you get your old visa account numbers on the listings and as Mr. Cantrell do your best.
    Good Luck