Skip to main content

My visa (F-1) and passport expired . Can I still get a Drivers's license?

Oak Grove, KY |

I'm married to a US citizen and we have a kid together. I am in the process of applying for a green card.

Attorney Answers 4


When you get your work permit and social security card, you should be able to apply for a drivers license.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


In my state, you couldn't. It depends on the requirements of the state as to licensing, so check with your local DMV. Usually you must be in current status or show at a minimum an employment authorization document to be able to drive.

This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


When you receive an EAD work permit, you should be able to apply for a drivers license.

Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

16 lawyers agree


If you get a work permit, you can use that to get a DL.

JP Sarmiento
Free Consultations (email /phone/in-person)
(216) 573-3712

Mark as helpful

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics