My V.A.W.A. visa was approved after 4 yrs of separation. Will this affect my application for citizenship in 3 years?

San Francisco, CA |

I hired a lawyer because it was 4 yrs of separation before I filed for V.A.W.A. And it was approved. Now I filed a divorce and I was told that I was divorced by my ex-husband 4 yrs ago. Will this affect my chance of being a US citizen in 3 yrs? Is there a chance that my V.A.W.A. will be revoked? please advise. Thank you.

1. If you did not know you were already divorced, then probably not. You are no longer required to be married at the time you file a VAWA petition.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

2. You need to direct your questions to your lawyer.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.