My V.A.W.A. visa was approved after 4 yrs of separation. Will this affect my application for citizenship in 3 years?

San Francisco, CA |

I hired a lawyer because it was 4 yrs of separation before I filed for V.A.W.A. And it was approved. Now I filed a divorce and I was told that I was divorced by my ex-husband 4 yrs ago. Will this affect my chance of being a US citizen in 3 yrs? Is there a chance that my V.A.W.A. will be revoked? please advise. Thank you.

If you did not know you were already divorced, then probably not. You are no longer required to be married at the time you file a VAWA petition.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

Thank you for your response. I was just a little worried because it was already 4 years that I was divorced. The guidelines for V.A.W.A. says that "you can file WITHIN 2 years after the divorce has been finalized." Now that I was already divorced for 4 years without my knowledge, I was thinking that I already exceeded the 2 years. I'm scared that they might question me when they interview me for citizenship. Thank you so much for your help.

Stephen D. Berman

Stephen D. Berman

Vacate the divorce. This e-mail and any attachments thereto, is intended only for use by the named addressee(s) and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error please immediately notify the sender, at Immigration Attorneys, LLP by sending a reply e-mail or by phoning the sender at 312.661.9100 and permanently delete the original copy and any copy of any e-mail, and any printout thereof. Thank you.

Thank you.

You need to direct your questions to your lawyer.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Well the reason I wanted to ask here is for other opinion so maybe I can feel a little better and sleep at night better. I sometimes don't feel confident that my lawyer knows what to do. Just an opinion about my case from other lawyers is what I need. But thank you anyway.