My upstair walks loud and hard I can't sleep

I lived in downstair in apartment. and Only one lady lives in upstairs. shes about 54 years old and asian She walks SO hard& loud everyday (morning / afternoon and even Night times) I don't care if she uses bathroom at 12 am or 1 am because that only takes about less than 5 mins. but she walks hard and i heard washing dishes by hand at 1 am or 2am even my 2 years old son wakes up in 1 am or 2 am because of pounding sound. I can't sleep so I'm taking tranquilizer me to get sleep from my DR. I sleep only 2-3 hours night If i try to sleep in the morning because i couldn't sleep night she makes too much noise again in the morning thats why i want to sue her or something i want to know what can i do? 1. can i sue her from giving me stress? 2. is it legal to hit my wall to make them a noise?

Tacoma, WA -

Attorney Answers (3)

Christopher Michael Davis

Christopher Michael Davis

Personal Injury Lawyer - Seattle, WA

Try writing your landlord first.

Any accident and legal information provided by Davis Law Group to non-clients is for general information purposes... more
Shawn B Alexander

Shawn B Alexander

Real Estate Attorney - Olga, WA

I agree with the previous answer and written notice according to your lease would be the proper first step. You might buy her a pair or slippers in the meantime.
Good Luck

Please be sure to indicate the best answer. If this answer was helpful, please mark as helpful below. Only. If... more
Cheryl Rivera Smith

Cheryl Rivera Smith

Real Estate Attorney - Frisco, TX

1. No.
2. No.
Your best bet is to outline the problem in writing and ask your landlord to solve it. Maybe by installing carpet upstairs? If landlord fails to solve the problem you can either ask the landlord to move you to another apartment - maybe one upstairs so you won't have anyone over you. If that doesn't work, you can then resort to self-help remedies. You would need to follow exact procedures. Here is a link that might be helpful. Best of luck.

Actively practicing law in Texas. Inactive licenses in Arizona and Georgia. All answers are general in nature... more

Related Advice

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.