My university school director sent an email with my personal and private information to other students, can I sue?

Phoenix, AZ |

In the email there is my Name, Student number, GPA, Home Address, and more personal and private information that now other students have access to.

What did the email say?

It was rewarding a graduate award ceremony, the email contained an attachment with all the graduates personal information, which was intended to show who was going to received an award, but along a highlight of the name, it had private information like the already mentioned information.

This shouldn't have happened but it is small scale stuff; you have suffered no damages; and FERPA is not enforceable by private lawsuits. So, no, you should not attempt to sue.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Civil rights topics