My Uncles estates probate started in 1996 & still is showing activity, last in 2009. The only family members left of my Uncle

Asked over 2 years ago - Olympia, WA

...are my Sister & I...Our Dad was left the residuary but died>(11/16/2001) before everything in our Uncles Will got distributed. Our Dads ex non adopted stepson who's an Attorney got everything, we were next in line to recieve the residuary if our Dad didnt survive our Uncle. We were never notified by the administrator of our Uncles passing or ANY of the probate hearings. The estates Final Accounting was in 2001, yet shows 2002, 2003,2004,2005,2006,2007, 2008,2009 for distributions being still made. Since my Sister & I never recieved ANYTHING out the estate & were not even aware of his passing until late 2009. Ive gone thru alot of the courts doc's accounting & have found numerous accounting inconsistencies. Some appear fraudulent. Nobody has been looking after the estate sinc .see part 2

Additional information

Part 2...since 2001. My Dads stepson ended up with everything of our uncles estate. We got zero, we didn't even get a notice! Since nobody is looking after his estate now(since 2001)..&we found all the accounting inconsistencies, who's responsible for this? We got nothing out of the estate & everything went to exactly who our Uncle did not want it to go to THE STEPSON! What happens if we want to bring this action to court since we are the ONLY family left? If it is fraud what happens in a case such as this one?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to have a Washington probate attorney look at this RIGHT AWAY, (assuming the probate is open in Washington). Probate matters do not get easier and less expensive with the passage of time. At least, if an estate is still open, the court already has jurisdiction and you will not need to pay, in order to reopen the file. You need to get ALL of the probate file so your attorney can review it.

    James Frederick

    *** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and... more
  2. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Make sure you have a copy of the file and I can set up an interview later this week. I'm up in Seattle, but we can arrange a meeting and would be happy go over everything. My number is below in the disclaimer.

    Matthew Johnson phone# 206.747.0313 is licensed in the State of Washington and performs bankruptcy, short sale... more
  3. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Why haven't you hired an attorney to investigate what's going on?
    You expect to get an answer from someone on this site who has not reviewed the case file?

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of... more

Related Topics

Criminal charges for embezzlement

Embezzlement is dishonestly redirecting or withholding assets from a business, often falsifying accounting records to make expenses appear legitimate.

Wills and estates

Understanding wills and estates can help you create a legally binding plan to protect your assets and final wishes, as well as reduce taxes on your estate.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

35,439 answers this week

3,799 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

35,439 answers this week

3,799 attorneys answering