My uncle was convicted of indecency with a child. His request for a retrial was denied. What can we do?

Asked about 1 year ago - Corpus Christi, TX

We have evidence that there was jury misconduct, and misconduct on behalf of the judge. However, the same judge had to make the decision about granting him a retrial. She of course denied it. The accusations had many inaccuracies and the accuser was proven to be lying several times. He could not be placed with her at any moment, and her story contradicted itself.

1. Macy Michelle Jaggers

Pro

5

Answered . The next step is to hire an appellate attorney. They will know how to review the record for legal grounds for appeal.

2. Stephen Ross Cohen

4

Answered . Now the nest step is an Appeal. Hire a Criminal Appaelate attorney!

3. Joshua Sachs

4

Answered . What can "we" do?

Your uncle can (1) appeal his conviction to a reviewing court which will review the record for legal error and has the power to order a new trial or, in an extreme case, to vacate his conviction altogether and order his discharge; (2) petition for collateral review of his conviction before the original trial judge for consideration of new material outside the record; (3) both, if appropriate.

Everybody else can contribute to a fund to pay for the very considerable amount of highly skilled and specialized legal (and possibly also expert and investigative) work that will be required for 1, 2 and 3.

4. Aaron Christopher Harper

Pro

Answered . You need to hire and or seek an appellate lawyers advice immediately as time limits may have already expired.