My uncle died w no heirs. no one knows what steps to take to recover his possessions and property. where do we start

Asked almost 2 years ago - Lynnwood, WA

he had no will and know children or wife, both parents are deceased.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Karl L. Flaccus


    Contributor Level 5


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No probate may be necessary, depending what assets he had at the time of death, and neither you nor anyone else has an obligation to initiate probate. That said, however, if there are assets, it will be to someone's benefit to initiate intestacy proceedings. Typically, a lawyer will collect his fee from the assets of the deceased. Family members have nothing to lose, and everything to gain, by contacting a probate attorney and seeking advice. I strongly suggest that you, or those who would benefit from this estate, speak to a lawyer.

    I wish you the best.

    Karl Flaccus

  2. Jose Carmelo Masso IV

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If your uncle died with no will or other testamentary instrument, he died intestate. Washington law sets out an order of succession of persons entitled to inherit when a person dies intestate. In your uncle's case, the next group who could inherit from his estate would be his siblings. I suspect you will have to initiate an adjudication proceeding in Superior Court to obtain an order that your uncle did die intestate and to name his heirs who are entitled to inherit.

    I am licensed in CA and WA only. This answer is provided solely for informational purposes only. This answer... more
  3. Eric Jerome Gold


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If your uncle has no spouse, children or parents, under the laws of intestate succession, the siblings would be the next group of relatives to benefits from the decedent's estate. At this point, your next step should be to consult with a probate attorney to have intestacy proceedings initiated, if there are assets. If there are no assets, it may not be worth the effort.

    When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on California law as I am... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,006 answers this week

3,093 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,006 answers this week

3,093 attorneys answering