Skip to main content

My truck was stolen last night from a bar parking lot and wrecked into a tree.

Akron, OH |

When I relised my truck was gone I called the police and reported it stolen. I was not home when the officer came to my house to file a report as I was out looking for my truck. The police did find the vehicle wrecked into a tree. The officer then came back to my home and told my wife that it looks like I drove home from the bar drunk hit the tree and reported it stolen wich is totally untrue. Now I have to go to the police station to get a release for my truck to be released from the towing companys tow yard. They would also not let me get the realese for the trunk until Monday from an officer. Should I be worried? Or does this sound like normal practice from akron ohio police department?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Talk to a criminal defense attorney before you have anything further to do with the police. You are the target of a criminal inbestigation and you are walking in a mine field.


No statements should be given to the police.They do not have enough evidence to arrest you. However, a statement by you could change that. If they ask to question you , inform them you can not answer any questions unless your lawyer is present.

Jonathan N. Portner, Esquire, Portner & Shure, P.A. Maryland and Virginia Personal Injury Attorneys. This response is general information and not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This response should not be relied upon. Please note that no attorney-client relationship exists between the sender and the recipient of this message in the absence of either (1) a signed fee contract and (2) remission of an agreed-upon retainer. Absent such an agreement and retainer, I am not engaged by you as an attorney, nor is any other member of my law firm



As of right now I do not have a personal attorney. should I hire one or do the courts appoint one e to you automatically if I ask for one.


You might want to consider proactively getting the phone records from the phone you called the police on, it might help to show that you were not near the truck when you called. Other than that, stop talking to the police immediately and hire a skilled criminal defense lawyer in your area.

This is general advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.


As previously stated, do not speak to the police without a lawyer. Based on the scenario presented, the police seem to be investigating you for operating a motor vehicle under the influence of drugs or alcohol. The police probably do not have enough to charge you at this time, but if they decide to charge and interrogate you, you must immediately and affirmatively assert your right to counsel. You should contact a lawyer before it gets to that point, because it would allow your lawyer to assemble evidence that could exonerate you before it is no longer available (i.e. before witnesses become unknown, security footage gets tapes over, etc.)

This answer is only to be interpreted as general advise in an effort to assist individuals on a very basic level. The advice provided is simply based off the very limited information provided in the questions posted on this website. The answers provided in no way result in the formation of an attorney-client relationship. Before any such relationship exists, an individual must sign an engagement letter, and remit either a flat fee or retainer fee deposit depending on the type of case. If you would like to speak further, I would happily speak with your in person or over the phone. Please note that I am only licensed to practice law in the states of Connecticut and Ohio.


I agree with the responding attorneys that you should speak with an experienced attorney as soon as possible. Best of luck with your car accident.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer