My truck was stolen last night from a bar parking lot and wrecked into a tree.

Asked over 1 year ago - Akron, OH

When I relised my truck was gone I called the police and reported it stolen. I was not home when the officer came to my house to file a report as I was out looking for my truck. The police did find the vehicle wrecked into a tree. The officer then came back to my home and told my wife that it looks like I drove home from the bar drunk hit the tree and reported it stolen wich is totally untrue. Now I have to go to the police station to get a release for my truck to be released from the towing companys tow yard. They would also not let me get the realese for the trunk until Monday from an officer. Should I be worried? Or does this sound like normal practice from akron ohio police department?

1. William Anthony Vasiliou II

Pro

3

Answered . As previously stated, do not speak to the police without a lawyer. Based on the scenario presented, the police seem to be investigating you for operating a motor vehicle under the influence of drugs or alcohol. The police probably do not have enough to charge you at this time, but if they decide to charge and interrogate you, you must immediately and affirmatively assert your right to counsel. You should contact a lawyer before it gets to that point, because it would allow your lawyer to assemble evidence that could exonerate you before it is no longer available (i.e. before witnesses become unknown, security footage gets tapes over, etc.)

2. Joshua Sachs

3

1

Answered . Talk to a criminal defense attorney before you have anything further to do with the police. You are the target of a criminal inbestigation and you are walking in a mine field.

3. Jonathan Neal Portner

Pro

2

1

Answered . No statements should be given to the police.They do not have enough evidence to arrest you. However, a statement by you could change that. If they ask to question you , inform them you can not answer any questions unless your lawyer is present.

4. Tanya Marie Bachand

2

1

Answered . You might want to consider proactively getting the phone records from the phone you called the police on, it might help to show that you were not near the truck when you called. Other than that, stop talking to the police immediately and hire a skilled criminal defense lawyer in your area.

This is general advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  5. Scott J. Corwin

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with the responding attorneys that you should speak with an experienced attorney as soon as possible. Best of luck with your car accident.