My ticket will be exactly one day late, will there be a penalty?

Tampa, FL |

I have a traffic ticket that is due on the 22nd, I don't get paid until the 23rd, which is the day I plan on paying my traffic ticket. Will there be a penalty for paying my ticket exactly one day late? It won't be mailed in, it will be paid over the internet, via credit card.

1. If I were you, I would contact the traffic judge and explain your situation and request an extension to pay your fine. If you do not ask for the extension, chances are you will receive a penalty.

2. Ask for an extension. Hillsborough county will grant you a 30 day extension. I would also suggest that you elect the school (if you are eligible) because that will allow to get a withhold of adjudication. Not only will you then not get points, but it will save hundreds of dollars on your insurance rates.

3. Call the Clerk (813) 276-8200 and request an extension, they should give you some additional time. If they do not grant an extension for some reason and you have to make a late payment, you will have to pay an additional late fee and D6 fee to avoid suspension. If you are eligible for driving school, you should elect the course to avoid points. If you are not eligible, I would recommend that you hire a traffic attorney to take your ticket to court.

Avvo.com answers provided solely for informational purposes. Answers are not legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. If you are seeking legal advice, contact a competent attorney in your local jurisdiction. Learn more about my practice at www.drivenlegal.com.