My tenents gave me a 30 notice to vacate, the 30 days is not up, they have already moved, no forwarding, can I enter the home?

Asked almost 2 years ago - San Diego, CA

They had the utilities shut off, did not return the keys, I have tried to reach them to set up a time for a walk thru to determine the possible return of thier deposit based on the condition of the property, they have not returned my calls. What are my rights as the landlord?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Michael Ryan Juarez

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . When tenants abandon a home the landlord has a right of entry pursuant to CA Civil Code Section 1954. However to recover legal possession through abandonment the procedure stated in CCC Section 1951.3 must be followed. For that I recommend consulting with an attorney.

    -Michael R. Juarez Law Office of Juarez and Schaeffer PO Box 16216 San Diego, CA 92105 (619) 804-4327 www.jslaw.... more
  2. James Carl Eschen III

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If the tenants have truly abandoned the premises, you may enter it. But if you only think they abandoned it and you are wrong, you could face some serious consequences. Section 1951.3 establishes a procedure whereby the landlord can make sure that the tenants have abandoned.

    Note that section 1951.3 requires that the tenants be in default in payment of rent for at least 14 days.

  3. Thomas Anthony Schaeffer

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Agreed. It is difficult to say that they have abandoned the property if they are current with their rent and still have possession under your contract.

    Thomas A. Schaeffer, Esq. Law Office of Juarez and Schaeffer PO Box 16216, San Diego, CA 92105 (619) 804-4327 www.... more
  4. Gordon Alexander Glenn

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . Since they have not contacted you to formally announce they have vacated, they still have exclusive rights to the unit. Send a letter to their last known address (i.e. the unit they were renting from you) advising them of their right to a pre-move out inspection since that is your obligation. If they do not take you up on that, you are protected when you decide to deduct repair expenses, etc., from the security deposit. After the 30 days are up, since they gave you written notice they would be gone by then, should be able to enter and inspect the property. I would recommend that you take a witness with you and prepare to photograph and videotape the condition of the unit.

Related Topics

Landlord-tenant law

Landlord-tenant law is governed mostly by state laws, and covers issues like security deposit limits and deadlines, evictions, and the right to withhold rent.

Landlord's right to enter

A landlord's right of entry to your living space is limited, and, depending on state laws, he or she usually needs your permission unless there's an emergency.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,351 answers this week

3,007 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,351 answers this week

3,007 attorneys answering