My tenants have not paid rent in 3 months and I have served a 3 day pay or quit notice but they will not answer my calls now...

Delano, CA |

They dont answer the door and all the phone numbers are changed.

If you have properly served a tenant with a three day notice to pay rent and the three days have expired, you need to file an unlawful detainer action to have the tenant removed from the property. Do not avail self-help in these circumstances. If you are unfamiliar with an unlawful detainer action, there are many attorneys who handle these matters expeditiously.

This response is not intended, nor should it be construed as legal advice. Any information provided is for educational purposes only. The exchange of communications through Avvo.com and similar social media does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me or my office. To schedule an appointment for an attorney-client privileged consultation, contact me at 909-860-0342. Thank you.

The tenants aren't under any obligation to take your calls. The notice to pay rent or quit only obligates them to pay the rent or vacate. If they do neither, then they are in unlawful possession of the premises. The fact that they are avoiding you speaks volumes. Your recourse is to file an unlawful detainer action against them in the superior court and then have them served with that lawsuit. That will probably get their attention.

File the lawsuit. Do not call them. Do not visit them at the residence or their place of business.

Landlord-tenant topics