Skip to main content

My tenants have been speaking rudely with me? How should i address the situation?

Tonawanda, NY |

My tenants have been speaking rudely with me especially when i am treating them with utmost professionalism and respect and addressing their every concern. Can someone please advise how i should handle this situation? What should i do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


Ask them to be polite?

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


Tell them they are being rude for no reason and you don't appreciate it.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at


This is always a difficult situation dealing with difficult people. Hopefully, they're paying their rent on time and living up to their lease. Other than acting professionally towards them, you can't really change their behavior. I would limit the personal contact with them and to the extent you need to communicate with them, do it in writing. If you no longer want them as a tenant, you may consider taking steps to end the tenancy and evict them.


You should consult with your business attorney and see how you can terminate their lease and populate your building with better tenants.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Unfortunately, and generally speaking, there is no law against "rudeness", in and of itself, even if such conduct may violate the rules of civility and etiquette. Unless there is details about your property or the type of landlord/tenant relationship you have which prevents you from doing so, your alternative is to terminate their tenancy in the soonest manner legally possible.


I'm sorry you are having trouble with your tenants. As my colleagues indicate, attempting to alter your tenants' behavior is probably an uphill battle. If the tenants are paying the rent, it may not be worth it to you to exacerbate the situation. If the situation gets worse, it might be worth the time and expense to evict.

A general suggestion in a public forum such as this one is no substitute for a confidential consultation. Before you do anything to alter the status quo, please give some serious thought to speaking with an attorney.

This communication is intended only to provide general information. No attorney-client relationship is created.


Say, "be nice......."

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer