My tenants dont pay rent.

Chicago, IL |

I ONLY KNOW WHERE ONE OF THEM WORKS.My tenants left the apartmnet with out paying 2 months of rent. Can I collect money from them? I dont know where do they move to., but i know where one of them works.

You can trace a person by following him home from work, right? That is what a private investigator would do.

You can sue a person for owed rent. You must be able to serve a summons and complaint upon him, though, so you have to figure out where the living address is.

sure you can sue them and serve them with the summons at their job. I would suggest writing a letter first and make sure they don't have any counterclaim possibilities against you. See an experienced attorney to make sure you won't have exposure to any counterclaims.

If they did not give you notice of problems with the rental unit by this time, their remedies under the Chicago Residential Landlord & Tenant Ordinance may have long since expired, so if they do make any counterclaims, they may not have exercised their rights properly. As to rent, did you notify them of any damages? That you were withholding their security deposit? These things also need to be verified because of the Ordinance (along with any interest). Finally yes to confirm you can serve them with a lawsuit anywhere you can find them.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is currently licensed to practice law only in the State of Illinois. Responses are based solely on Illinois law unless stated otherwise.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant