My tenant broke a window on the house next door. Can I be held responsible?

Asked over 3 years ago - Lansing, MI

My tenant broke a neighbor's window before he moved out and the neighbor thinks I am responsible through my insurance policy. Is that right?

1. Steven E. Shelton

Answered . It is extremely unlikely that you would be on the hook for this. And it's even less likely that your insurance will cover it, since the injury took place on someone else's property and was not caused by the condition of your property. Your neighbor's insurance should cover it, or the neighbor can sue the former tenant. My answer would be different if the damage was caused by a problem with your property itself--a rotting tree that fell on the neighbor's house, or water damage caused by a broken pipe on your property--but damage caused by a tenant should not result in liability for you. But, you could always call your insurance agent and ask. Who knows? You might have some weird kind of policy that includes this sort of thing, and if so, it will help "mend fences" with your neighbor.