My teenager son just had a baby 3 days ago. the mother signed the baby over for adoption. does my son have any rights?

Sarasota, FL |

my sons girlfriend had her baby 3 days ago and just signed it over to a family she knows. my son didnt sign. does he have rights to his baby?

the adopting family was at the hospital and her attorney was telling my son to sign the papers. he did not sign.

1. You need to get your son to a family law attorney right away. Your son does have rights but he needs to file an action immediately, Your son's girlfriend probably told the adopting parents that she didn't know who the father was. If you wait too long the adoptive parents will be heart broken and lots misery will visit everyone. You will need a lawyer for this
    Good luck
    Barbara Peyton

2. In Florida you need to register with the Florida Putative Father Registry. When you register, you are agreeing to DNA testing, court Orders related to child support and visitation. If you have known about the adoption plan notice should have been provided to you (if they were aware that you were the father and how to locate you). You will need an attorney to assist you with this issue.

This information is provided as a public service to provide a general answer and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

3. I agree with Attorney Peyton, your son needs to hire an attorney NOW. I would look for one in your area who is very familiar with adoptions, as opposed to divorces.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me at 954-567-4100. Also, if you liked this answer did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button

Child custody topics