My taxes were filed with wrong deductions. What do I do?

I filed my taxes through an agent I was referred to and realized I got more than I expected. After inquiring, the agent filed that I was in school in 2011 when I graduated in 2010. I am worried about this inaccuracy. What do I do.. Call the IRS, file an amendment or keep my cool.

Raleigh, NC -

Gregory Herman-Giddens

Gregory Herman-Giddens

Tax Lawyer - Chapel Hill, NC

If you fail to amend a return when you know it contains a mistake you may have to pay penalties if the return is audited. I recommend that you file an amended return as soon as possible. If you do not want to do it yourself you should choose a competent accountant or tax lawyer - don't use the tax prep office on the corner.

Curtis Lamar Harrington Jr

Curtis Lamar Harrington Jr

Tax Lawyer - Long Beach, CA

a 1040X can be used to amend returns.

Wesley Kent Hill

Wesley Kent Hill

Tax Lawyer - Atlanta, GA

An amendment to your original tax return would be your best bet. If you call the IRS, they are going to tell you that you need to file a 1040 X as Mr. Harrington indicated.

Good luck!

Related Advice