My taxes were filed with wrong deductions. What do I do?

Asked over 2 years ago - Raleigh, NC

I filed my taxes through an agent I was referred to and realized I got more than I expected. After inquiring, the agent filed that I was in school in 2011 when I graduated in 2010. I am worried about this inaccuracy. What do I do.. Call the IRS, file an amendment or keep my cool.

1. Gregory Herman-Giddens

7

Best Answer

Answered . If you fail to amend a return when you know it contains a mistake you may have to pay penalties if the return is audited. I recommend that you file an amended return as soon as possible. If you do not want to do it yourself you should choose a competent accountant or tax lawyer - don't use the tax prep office on the corner.

2. Curtis Lamar Harrington Jr

5

Answered . a 1040X can be used to amend returns.

3. Wesley Kent Hill

5

Answered . An amendment to your original tax return would be your best bet. If you call the IRS, they are going to tell you that you need to file a 1040 X as Mr. Harrington indicated.

Good luck!