My tax refund was stolen - identity theft - and I am having trouble, 10 months later, getting the IRS to send me my refund.

Asked over 1 year ago - Largo, FL

I have filed the appropriate papers as requested by the IRS and I have a claims person; however, I keep getting put off with " it will be another 90 days," etc. Does anyone have any suggestions?

1. Alicia Simone James

2

Answered . A letter from an attorney may help speed the process along. It is important to document your contact with the IRS via certified mail. Make a log of every time you contact them including the name (or id number) of the person. An IRS agent usually has an employee ID number. Be persistent.

2. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

3

Answered . Did you contact the taxpayer advocate service yet? They are usually quite helpful. Although I will say it is not uncommon for issues such as this to take many months to resolve. I don't suspect hiring an attorney would be advisable unless the refund is very large but contact from an attorney could speed things along. For now I would contact the taxpayer advocate. National number: (877) 777-4778
    or closest one to you IN FLORIDA:
    Ft. Lauderdale

7850 SW 6th CT., Room 265, Plantation, FL 33324
    954-423-7677
    954-423-7685 (f)

Jacksonville 400 West Bay Street, Jacksonville, FL 32202 904-665-1000 904-665-1802 (f)

3. Linda Simmons Campbell

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with both prior answers. Identity theft has become a big problem for the IRS. I have seen situations like this take months to resolve. Contact the Taxpayer Advocate for assistance but it is likely that you will have to be patient.

Just remember that you will need to get a new tax identification number from the IRS to prevent this from happening in the future.