My tax preparer filed my taxes,stole my refund and the police wont do a report because they said that's federal. What do I do?

Asked over 1 year ago - Miami, FL

They keep saying IRS has to deal with that and IRS keep telling me to go to the police. I'm confused

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Brian Joseph Munson

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . They're both right. The theft is actually a state crime which should be handled by the local police department. However, since the theft involves money paid by the federal government, it becomes a federal issue.

    You do need to file the affidavit suggested by my colleague. I would then go back to the police.

    This answer does not establish an attorney-client relationship, Moreover, this attorney is Licensed to practiced... more
  2. John P Corrigan

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You need to file an Affidavit with IRS lodging your complaint for starters. See attached link to the Form you need to complete:

    My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a... more
  3. Evan A Nielsen

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In addition to what my colleagues have indicated, you should also consider contacting the FBI - they are the national "police" for things like this.

    Good luck

    Evan A. Nielsen is licensed to practice law in California and handles federal tax matters throughout the U.S. The... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,045 answers this week

3,408 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,045 answers this week

3,408 attorneys answering