My tax preparer filed my taxes,stole my refund and the police wont do a report because they said that's federal. What do I do?

Asked over 1 year ago - Miami, FL

They keep saying IRS has to deal with that and IRS keep telling me to go to the police. I'm confused

1. Brian Joseph Munson

6

1

Answered . They're both right. The theft is actually a state crime which should be handled by the local police department. However, since the theft involves money paid by the federal government, it becomes a federal issue.

You do need to file the affidavit suggested by my colleague. I would then go back to the police.

2. John P Corrigan

4

1

Answered . You need to file an Affidavit with IRS lodging your complaint for starters. See attached link to the Form you need to complete: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f14157.pdf

3. Evan A Nielsen

3

Answered . In addition to what my colleagues have indicated, you should also consider contacting the FBI - they are the national "police" for things like this.

Good luck