My step-father raped me for 10 years when I was a child. I am now 28 and finally told someone about it. Can i still press charge

New Cumberland, PA |

The abuse stopped when I was 15 in 2000. I'm now 28 yrs old and finally told my mom and therapist and husband. Is it too late for me to press charges for it in pa...

The statute of limitations for a sexual offense against a minor under the age of 18 now runs until the minor reaches 50 years of age. So it is not too late to report. If you decide to report, you should do so in the jurisdiction where the abuse occurred.

Thank you for the helpful information... As far as reporting it where the abuse occurred, would I need to report in all three states? (we moved 3 times when I was growing up)... Thanks so much, I've heard conflicting things about the statute of limitations, I'm so glad to hear I still have time to press charges if I do ever get up the courage to actually do it.

Kelley Lynn Nelson

Kelley Lynn Nelson

I would not be able to advise on the statute of limitations in other states, so my suggestion would be to report it to the jurisdiction where the abuse occurred in PA. Be sure to provide them with information regarding the general timeframe and locations where the abuse occured out of state. They should be able to reach out to the other jurisdictions, if necessary.

Recommended articles about Personal injury