My spouse won her asylum case in immigration court. However, I have a final order of removal from many years ago. What can I do?

Asked about 2 years ago - New York, NY

My spouse just won her refugee case in immigration court. I have a final order of removal from many years ago but I never left the United States (I live in NY). What can I do to get status?

Attorney answers (6)

  1. Alice Antonovsky

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your spouse can file the Asylee/Refugee Relative petition for you. I highly urge you to contact an immigration attorney to assist you with this. Good Luck.

    The answers offered here are purely informational and do not create an attorney-client relationship. For more... more
  2. Gintare Grigaite

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You will need to file a motion to reopen your case. This is highly skilled and complex matter, so I highly recommend hiring an experienced immigration attorney.

    Contact attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Answers on AVVO do... more
  3. Toria Lynn Dixon

    Contributor Level 4


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Because you have a final order of removal from years ago, you will need to file a joint motion to reopen requesting the chief counsel's office to agree to reopen. It is strongly suggested that you obtain an immigration attorney to do this. My office routinely does this type of cases.

  4. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should contact an immigration attorney immediately to review your case. You may be able to get relief through your wife.

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street,... more
  5. Jeffrey Jose Estrella

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Need an out of time motion to reopen based on equitable tolling doctrine. Then sit with your lawyer to discuss and employ all available forms of relief to get order vacated and get your status adjusted based on what relief you can apply for.

    Hire a lawyer to protect your legal rights. Good Luck.




    Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq.
    Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado

    Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut
    The Estrella Law Firm, P.C.
    75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170
    Inside The Bulova Corporate Center
    Jackson Heights, NY 11370
    T. (347) 628-2391
    F. (718) 672-4728

    The answers posted herein are not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship exists. Call for a free 20... more
  6. Nicklaus James Misiti

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Hire an attorney to file a motion to reopen. My firm handles such cases in NY.
    Nicklaus Misiti
    Law Offices of Nicklaus Misiti
    212 537 4407

    Legal disclaimer: The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,203 answers this week

3,597 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,203 answers this week

3,597 attorneys answering