My spouse started a collaborative process. I sense the group of collaborative professionals is aligned with each other.

Asked over 1 year ago - Columbus, OH

Alligned more with each other than with me. My spouse selected a therapist for my 14 year old. I wasnt told the attorney would contact therapist but was told she was for "support" only. I feel these attorneys and professionals are more concerned with themselves than my case. reading about it sounds good, but these feels terrible. i am ready to let my attorney go because of his not asking permission to call daughters therapist, having an hour phone call with her, and charging me 100$

1. Deborah Zaccaro Hoffman

1

Answered . If it isn't working out, get someone else and just file.

For informational purposes only; not intended to, and does not, constitute legal advice or a legal opinion.
  2. Peter Stephen Kirner

Answered . I agree with both attorneys! This is a collaborative process. The goal is to reach a fair resolution. Good attorneys know how to do this. If you want an attorney who is going to fight, kick and scream on your behalf, call the court and ask for the meanest, most unreasonable attorney who practices in that jurisdiction. Meet with them, and they will tell you everything that they are going to do for you and how they are going to crush the other side. Pay them thousands of dollars in retainer, attend many pretrials, and ultimately have a trial and let the court decide. At the end of the day, what will that cost you ? How much money will be spent and $300 +/- an hour ? How much time ? How much emotion ? How much anger and frustration and what else ?? You have an attorney. That person is trying to bring the matter fairly to resolution. If you don't like them, fire them. End of the day this is YOUR divorce. You and your spouse should control it. Attorneys will help you do what is fair. Try and remove the emotion from the situation (which is DIFFICULT) and treat this like a business decision ONLY. You were wise to start with collaborative, I am hopeful that you can finish. Good luck.

3. Joseph Jonathan Brophy

1

Answered . Divorce feels terrible 99% of the time. People involved in matrimonial disputes are always stressed out and very often are unhappy with their lawyers. The collaborative professionals do just that, they collaborate. You are supposed to collaborate to work out a deal with your spouse. Most of the time you are not going to get a better deal at the end of the day in collaborative law than you would in a conventional adversarial divorce. You have a perfect right to reject the collaborative process and file, but it's going to cost you financially and emotionally.

4. Donna G Heller

Answered . You might want to separate out whether it is that you do not like [or understand?] the collaborative process versus whether it is really that you have some issues with your counsel. Is it possible that you could have the same issue with another attorney? Perhaps if your issue is that you want counsel to seek permission before doing work on your case then that might be the first conversation to have. In a litigated case motions are filed all the time by the other side that need to be read and addressed. If what you are seeking is control then this may be a consideration.