My spouse is on probation but the courts won't stop harassing me...

Denver, CO |

Hi, my spouse is on ECU probation for theft and her probation officer keeps asking about money and our life style. My wife is on disability (pending SSDI check) and I am the one who works. We were not married at the time she was convicted. I work very hard for my money and I'm an innocent victim in this situation, yet the courts won't stop asking about my income and about her paying more money (unreasonable amount), as well as how mad they are about where we live (as it's a nice area/place) but it was my choice as I am paying for it all. Does anyone have answers or anything about this? We are looking for representation as well. Thanks.

You are not on probation, so you do not have to tell them anything, you don't have to talk to them at all, and you can simply hang up the phone when they call. However, if you are married, then she may have to report all the marital assets/income and not just her own. I would need to know more about the specifics of your finances and the terms of her probation to give you legal advice on what to report. You'll need to seek out an attorney for that advice.

So can her probation officer and the courts hold me reliable to pay for her restitution? Or get mad at her for living a 'nice' life because of me? Because she does not pay for any of our assets/rent/etc - thats all me. Her probation terms does mention she must provide household income but it says nothing about holding everyone in the household reliable. I am just so tired of them holding me reliable for payments and expecting $500/mo from her when she is disabled.

Charles Patrick Greenwood

Charles Patrick Greenwood

They can't hold you liable for anything, but they may be able to take whatever she owes in restitution out of assets you both hold together.

Stephen Clark Harkess

Stephen Clark Harkess

You are not directly responsible, but she stole from someone and is going to continue to receive pressure to pay it back. The Courts are not very sympathetic to her claim of disability since there is a victim out there that she took from. You are not responsible for her issues, but if you want to keep your wife from having a hard time you may need to help her make things right.

Stephen Clark Harkess

Stephen Clark Harkess

When you decided to get married, you took her for better and for worse. This is the "for worse" part that she is still dealing with.

Perfect answer by Mr. Greenwood and I would highly encourage you to contact him about representation

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.

Civil rights topics