My spouse is in the Military residing in a different state. In which, he filed his taxes as married filing jointly.

Asked over 3 years ago - Stone Mountain, GA

However, I did not give him permission to file me. I found this information out through the IRS when my return was rejected in which I filed single. Can he get in trouble with for his actions?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Sheryl Rae Ghezzi


    Contributor Level 6

    Answered . The Internal Revenue Service has a procedure which addresses this situation. I would suggest you review information at

  2. Henry Daniel Lively

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . He can not file a return that is joint without your signature. You cannot file as single, only married filing jointly or married filing separately. You can paper file your return so that it will be accepted. You should also notify the IRS that you were improperly filed as MFJ.

    Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response provides information that is general in nature and not specific to any person's unique situation. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Advice given in this response cannot be used to eliminate penalties with the IRS or any other governmental agency.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now