My spouse is a US citizen, and I'll go to the states to study PhD degree. What sort of visa should I apply for F1 or Green Card?

Asked over 2 years ago - Washington, DC

As I heard from similar cases that it depends on the consular processing staff. Some of them says F1, and some others say that it must be an immigrant visa (Green Card) since the spouse is a US citizen !!

Please advise me in this regard.

Thanks

1. Danielle L C Beach

Answered . You would not be eligible for an F1 as you must show intent to return to unrelinquished domicile and if your spouse lives in the US you would not get the visa and even if he doesn't usually it is presumed that you are an intending immigrant. Also you should consider that the F1 out of state tuition is extremely expensive as opposed to a green card and paying in state tuition if that is where you would live. F-1 is definitely a bad idea here.

2. Mary Kathleen Neal

1

Answered . The answer depends on many factors. Does your spouse live in the U.S.? If not, he or she cannot sponsor you for an immigrant visa now. On the other hand, if your spouse does live in the U.S., the consulate might not grant a student visa because it will look like you really intend to immigrate to the country to live with spouse, not just temporarily come to study. Make an appointment with an attorney who can help you determine the most successful strategy.

3. Neil Ian Fleischer

1

Answered . You F-1 COULD be denied as it requires non-immigrant intent. Since you have a USC spouse, you may be questioned about your intent to return to your home country
    You should discuss pros an cons with a lawyer

www.immigrate2usa.com

4. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . If your spouse is living in the US, an F-1 visa will not be possible. She would need to petition you for the green card.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.