Skip to main content

My spouse has claimed that I have written to him that I am going to kill him and added lots of lies as in the most recent threat

New York, NY |

but none of this is true and he has not even provided any evidence that this is the case; therefore, there is no immediate threat. In fact, what he has provide to the court is an email from a year ago where I wrote him that I will physically harm him after realizing that he used me for immigration purposes, so I was really mad, emotional, sad, embarrassed as it was the time I filed for divorce. We did not see each other for a year, even when I knew where he resided, I never attempted to see him, and our communication has only been limited to emails for the whole year. He is also lying claiming that I just found out where he lives, which is a lie and I can easily refute that lie because 1) he has only provided his PO Box address for me to respond to him with the restraining order case that

I am writing you about, so if I knew where he lived now, then obviously there would be no need for him to put a PO Box address supposedly to hide his whereabouts from me lol (he's dumb!); 2) He got served with out divorce where he lived in a different state and I have typed our judgement form where his address of his friend's house where he was staying is visible! Another reason why he is not thinking thorough about his lies where I can clearly prove that all this time I knew where he lived having send him a few things and having received a divorce form with his signature on it lol. So having filed the temp. rest. order he is only bringing forth an email from me from a year ago at the time of our divorce claiming to be threatened and as if he hasn't been sleeping well at night... dramatizing thing for immigration purposes! Q: how the judge will look at all this when he does not prove that I have said I will kill him, but only bring up a one year old email

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Cant predict what a judge will do. Ex may have other evidence and it may not be legitimate/real. You may want to at least consult with a local lawyer to review your options and risks.

  2. Impossible to tell the outcome without concrete evidence of the claims. Consult an attorney with what you do have for advice.

    Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at

  3. If that's his sole piece of evidence, the Judge would wish to hear from you as to the context. It's basically a credibility call on the part of the Judge to determine whether it was a "real threat" or whether you were just blowing off steam. Thus, I highly advise you to consult with a NYC Domestic Violence lawyer.

    * If you found my answer to be helpful, or the "best answer," please feel free to mark it accordingly.

  4. Consult a lawyer.

    IMPORTANT: Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. For persons located in New Jersey: To the extent that Mr. Murray's profile can be considered an advertisement in New Jersey, which is denied, be advised that NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. Furthermore, the selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website:

  5. Don't know what judge will do, but get a good local attorney for representation.

  6. Hire a lawyer. Defend the allegation and make sure your lawyer brings a claim against him.