My spouse has 2 kids (8 & 12) that are living with her ex-husband. Are they her dependents? She's my sponsor for form I-864

Asked about 1 year ago - Atlanta, GA

I am filing for adjustment of status and my spouse is sponsoring me on form I-864. She has two kids that are not stated as her dependents on her tax return and they are not living with us. Should we count them as our household for purposes of form I-864? Thank you!

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . According to the divorce decree, is she responsible for their support?

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Selasi Evans Adika

    Contributor Level 4


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Hello there,

    To answer you question simply, No. They don't count as members of your household for the purposes of completing the form I-864.

  3. Irene Vaisman

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If she pays child support, then yes. I-864 asks you very direct questions, also the instructions are pretty good

    This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,086 answers this week

2,826 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,086 answers this week

2,826 attorneys answering