My spouse and me have agreed to get divorce. Can we file together or do the process out of the court to avoid delays?

Asked over 1 year ago - Simi Valley, CA

We have been marry for 8 1/2 years and have two kids which he has agree to give me the full physical and legal custody, we are not fighting for money. As we have agreed for him to continue to support me until I finish school (but not sure how much is fair for alimony). We also agreed for him to keep the house. The only problem we have is that we have debt and don't know how to go about it.
I would like to know if it is possible to file for divorce together to speed the process for the divorce?
And also how is going to affect me when I file income taxes next year.
Not sure what are my

Attorney answers (6)

  1. Myra Chack Fleischer

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can't file together in CA. You both still need to file you own paperwork. What you can do together is come up with your settlement agreement and then have it drafted into a final judgment that can be filed with the court. The question about taxes cannot be answered without more info.

    The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an... more
  2. Gregory Paul Benton

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There is no way to avoid the court to get a divorce. Some one will need to file a petition and then the other will need to file a response. If you are in agreement, then submit either a Marital Settlement Agreement for the court to sign to finish your divorce or submit a Stipulation For Judgment to the court for their signature. By statute, you can't get divorced until at least 6 months has passed from the file and service of the petition. I suggest y ou seek legal assistance on this.

  3. Eric Jerome Gold


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . While you cannot file for divorce together, you can go through the uncontested divorce process, which will simplify the process somewhat and save you legal fees. You should consult with an attorney for an in-depth analysis of your situation.

    ** LEGAL DISCLAIMER ** My response above is not legal advice and it does not establish an attoreny-client... more
  4. Michael D. Labrum

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Definitely consult with an attorney. An uncontested divorce won't be as expensive and won't take as much time to complete.

    The Law Offices of Michael Labrum (Offices in Ventura and Westlake Village; Serving Ventura, Los Angeles and Santa... more
  5. Stephen Peter Anderson


    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Not wanting to cause any disagreements, I cautiously advise that with children, a house and debts, having an attorney prepare the documents and making sure both parties are aware of their rights, obligations and the specific terms of an agreement, is probably necessary. There are mediators, attorneys, that offer to discuss all issues with both of you, and then prepare a complete agreement that will properly state those terms. You still need to comply with all disclosure requirements, attend parenting classes and address all relevant issues. Failure to do so could get the documents rejected, set aside by motion, or be the subject of post judgment actions for modification. You have important issues, don't risk confusion or missing terms, hire an attorney.

    The comments made here are meant to direct you to receive local consultation from an attorney in your area and ask... more
  6. David Ari Goldberg


    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . You will have to both file the necessary paperwork with the Court to become legally divorced. There are still various requirements that need to be satisfied during the process before the Court with sign off on the divorce. If all issues are resolved, then you can proceed with an uncontested divorce. Pursuant to California law, it will still take a minimum of 6 months to complete. You should consult with and/or retain counsel to guide you through and ensure that the process is completed quickly.

    ** LEGAL DISCLAIMER ** This response is not legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,355 answers this week

2,952 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,355 answers this week

2,952 attorneys answering