Skip to main content

My spouse and I have a temporary order in place in collin county, we would like to break our contracts with our attorney's

Mckinney, TX |
Filed under: Divorce

Is there a requirement to inform court of dropping our attornies. Their signatures are on the temp order. In addition, we would like to make a change to the temp order. It currently states that we are order to attend mediation with so and so by a date in July which we would like to skip since we are attending marriage therapy.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    You should notify the attorneys formally, in writing, with some record that you did (fax receipt, certified mail, etc.) that you are terminating their services. Request a motion to withdraw that you can sign off on. You do not want them spending any unintended time on your case and they will remain your attorney of record until the motion is signed by the judge. Further, request a date certain that you can get your file from their office.

  2. The attorneys will file the orders to withdraw. If you two can draft a temporary order and agree to it and file it with the court, you should be fine.

  3. You either retain new counsel who can file a motion for substitution of counsel or you can ask your attorneys to withdraw from the case, which requires them to file a motion to withdraw.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics