Skip to main content

My soon to be ex husband is letting our house go into foreclosure, and he is working. Is this legal?

Homer Glen, IL |
Filed under: Divorce

My husband and I were married for almost 14 years. I have stood at home and raised our children since August of 1997. He walked out on us in August of 2007 so I started working at a local resturant. The children and I have been staying at the house until the divorce is final. I recently got a notice that the house is in foreclosure. Can he do this to the children and I? How could this possible be legal? Any advice that could be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Attorney Answers 1


You need to call a family law attorney in your area immediately. You do not indicate if there are court orders regarding the house or payments or support. If the house is in foreclosure and there is equity in it, most courts will do what can be done to protect the asset. Call an attorney for a consultation.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics