My sons social security number was used by an illegal alie 3 years ago. he has given up on it. Is there anything else he can do

Asked over 1 year ago - Gilbert, AZ

the irs has been taking his taxes for 3 years now. Is there anything he can do??

Attorney answers (1)

  1. John S. Fason

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Ccontact the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit at 1-800-908-4490 to report the identity theft. Your son (and you if he is a minor) will also need to fill out the IRS Identity Theft Affidavit, Form 14039. See attached link.

    You should also notify the credit bureaus in case the thief has opened accounts in his name and with his SS #.

    Contact a tax specialist to help get back money that the IRS "took" for taxes on wages that your son did not earn, and thus did not owe taxes on.

    A police report should also be filed by you (or your son if he is over 18) with the local police where you live. See attached link for more information and forms.

    Answering a question through the AVVO forum does not create an attorney-client relationship, nor does any followup... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,012 answers this week

3,044 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,012 answers this week

3,044 attorneys answering