My sons paternal grandparents are taking me to court for visiting rights after over 3 yrs of having nocontact. will they win?

Youngstown, OH |

the father of my son has no visiting rights and has not had contact with my son in over a year

If you have concerns, you need to adequately address them. That can be hard to do without a lawyer. Your child also has the right to be "heard" via a guardian ad litem. This person is selected by the court (usually lawyers, social workers or psychologist) to investigate and advocate for your child. Both sides will be forced to pay the GALs fees. Also, you will need to consider the child's father's position in the matter. If you can afford it, it is best to have representation. Best wishes!

right now my son has an attorney who has been assigned to be his guardian ad litem, but i feel that he does not care about the best intrest of the child. i feel that a social worker would be more sensitive to my sons needs and my concerns. is it possible to ask for a social worker?

Heather Renee Dyer Johnston

Heather Renee Dyer Johnston

You are not permitted to request social be assigned. Each court determines who may be in the list and typically they are attorneys do that they can better represent the child and file motions if necessary. If the GAL is not competing their duties (outlined in the Ohio Rules of Superintendence 48 in Ohio) you can seek to have them removed though that is somewhat rare. Finally, you can cross examine them and question their investigation, show any bias , etc. Best wishes

Ohio has made it increasingly easier for grandparents to get visitation with the grandchildren. You may lose especially if you don't hire an attorney to contest the issue. I suggest hiring a good local family law attorney who can help you.

The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client relationship. Attorney Beck is available for private hire and consultation for a fee. Only after Attorney Beck is retained as counsel, or agrees to discuss this matter with you privately, shall he be legally deemed to be your Attorney. His responses herein are an attempt to assist persons temporarily based upon the very extremely limited amount of information provided by the questioner

i have many concerns to my son being at their home . is it possible to have some sort of control in the situation ?

Thaddeus Stephen Wexler

Thaddeus Stephen Wexler

Even if the grandparents receive some visitation rights with the child, the courts usually give great weight to the mother or father having discretion on where and how long the visits take place. The grandparents typically have limited rights.